Friday, November 21, 2008

Failed Test - Typo Corrected- I DO have Gestational Diabetes

Ok, if you know me at all..you know that I hate to fail anything..especially test... I was pretty much a perfectionist in school...I was the nerd who would always do extra credit..even if I already had over 100 average in a class (i.e. Physics, Calculus)... I have always been an overachiever when it came to getting good grades.. so, needless to say when I failed a test this week..not just once but a total of 3 times.. I was a little upset.

I had my first Glucose Test on Wednesday morning. Besides the fact that the nurses were unable to draw my blood from my arm...b/c they couldn't find a vein... even the doctor gave up on me... I ended up having my finger pricked to get the results...although, this isn't the most accurate way...we had no other option... I did NOT pass this test... which meant I had to come back for another round... more time consuming and more poking...

This morning... I once again braved the cold...and was there bright and early... My first test (fasting)...went ok.. we did the finger pricks for all the test... but I passed the fasting test...the next 2 test (one hour and two hours later).. I failed miserably... the final test at hour 3... I barely passed...so, off I went to meet with a nutritionist....

I'm now having to test my glucose levels 4 times a day... at specific times... to keep track of how what I'm eating effects my blood sugar... pretty much I have to do a finger prick test on myself ... this is harder than you would think..especially when you're freaked out by needles like myself!

Well, I'm going to hope that I'll start passing some of these test.. I figure 4 times a day... I might eventually get up to a passing grade!

Oh, so by failing the above test..I am considered to have Gestgational Diabetes.

3 comments:

Jo Leigh said...

Oh, Abbie, I'm so sorry to hear about that! That stinks that you have to do that, but I guess it's better than just not knowing. I bet you will be a master finger sticker after this & never flinch again at the doctor's!!!!!

Cindy said...

I don't want to copy what Jo Leigh and Sherry said...I hate to you have to do that, but I'm glad that you don't have gestational diabetes and that Baby Girl is doing so well! Good luck and be strong!

Heather said...

Hi! My name is Heather & I'm Wendy Lewis Martin's sister-in-law. I went throught the same thing as you with the same results 7 was told I DID have gestational diabetes. Weird. I have to limit my carb intake & check my blood 4 times a day too. It's so strange that our results were so similar, but we were told different things. Good luck with the finger pricking!